April 4, 2011
Today I wire wheeled and painted the rear bumper white.
I liked it so much I did the same thing to the tongue. Now all I need to do is paint everything in between. Going to look at new tires tomorrow. Hope my local tire store has some nice white walls. Then I will need to clean up my rims and paint them as well.
We found a brand new Bargman L66 door handle today in a RV Parts store. It was probably sitting on their shelf for the past 25+ years. Just what we needed to replace the old door handle that was missing the tumbler.
Thursday, March 31, 2011
She needed some fixing up. There was water damage around the vent and the ceiling was in pretty bad shape. The rear window had a leak as well. When we first purchased her, we cleaned up the interior and power washed the exterior. That Summer, my wife went ahead and removed the upper cabinets, doors and drawers and refinished them. She used a light stain and a nice coat of polyurethane to make 'em shine. After that she made some very nice curtains and reupholstered the dinette seats.
My wife and I started installing new ceiling panels along with a little foam insulation. I also added a piece of 3/4" square steel tubing to take out the bow in the ceiling. I also installed a new roof vent. It isn't vintage, but it looks great and stays dry.
I had to go back to work for a couple of days, so my wife put the upper cabinets back in place. They sure do look pretty with the new stain and poly.
Next, we took a trip to Lowes and picked up some peel and stick flooring panels. They look like oak hardwood pieces and came out great. My wife installed them in one afternoon.
A couple weeks later, I removed the canvas fabric from the bunk poles and made a bed frame out of 1 x 3's. I used the same technique as the construction of the lower bed. The new frame is supported by the 3 existing metal poles. My son is excited about his new bed. Completed 3-31-11
I had to run some electric to the A/C only refrigerator that we purchased new, so I ran an outlet under the bunk for an air conditioner while I was at it. The 3.7 cu ft fridge works well in the old icebox space. With a few shims and screws, it'll be ready to travel.
The original Holiday propane stove works well, so I took some steel wool to the handle and the front face plate and cleaned it up real nice.
So next, I'll be cleaning up the bumper and tongue with the help of a wire wheel and a coat of white rustoleum before we go out on our first camping excursion next month!!!!! We're getting excited!
Our dog, Maddie is looking forward to camping too. :o)
This Summer, we plan to give our Shasta a nice exterior paint job, new white wall tires and two shiny new moon hubcaps. Pictures to come later...